Name: Tan Xin Hui (Veronica)
High School: Sabah Tshung Tsin Secondary – Class of 2020
Degree Chosen at Les Roches: Bachelor of Business Administration in Global Hospitality Management with Specialization in Hotel Financial Management Performance – Class of 2024
During my time in Les Roches, Sonia and Pauline were extremely professional and welcoming. It was definitely a pleasure to be introduced to SUISSEedu as they had made my experience in Les Roches even more pleasant. Hence, I would always remember the Malaysian gathering hosted by Sonia when she visited Les Roches, and from there I was introduced to many new Malaysian peers in the school.
“What is done with love is done well” by Van Gogh
1. Studying in Switzerland – Why did you choose Switzerland as a study destination. How did you make your final decision to choose Les Roches and how was your overall experience studying there?
Since a young age, I had always been interested about the hospitality industry and Switzerland was ideally the best study destination to pursue a hospitality degree. After researching different university options, I choose Les Roches because, during my application process, all the staff that I spoke with was super helpful and supportive. Not only that, but I also really love the academic progress of Les Roches, as it involves both practical and academics hence allowing students to gain internship experiences before graduating! After spending almost 3 years in Les Roches, I must admit I enjoy my time studying there as I was able to meet many different friends from different nationalities and backgrounds. Moreover, there are many activities and network opportunities provided by the school which makes my university experiences unique from other schools.
2. My Program – Which program did you choose and and give a brief summary about what you learned from the course and being on campus. And which specialization you chose and why?
The program I choose was the three-and-a-half-year Bachelor program in Global Hospitality Management with one practical semester and two six-month internship experiences. Throughout my study in Les Roches, I learned many different skills and knowledge from the courses. However, my most memorable class would be the Hospitality Innovation Project, as this course allows me and my classmates to work on real-life projects closely with companies to provide new creative ideas for the company. I will be specializing in Finance as the professors are well-experienced in the industry and I believe it will help me gain better insights on it.
3. My Internship & Jobs – Where did you do your internships and which one was your best experience out of all? What did you do and learn during these internships?
I completed my first internship at Glion Institute of Higher Education in the Bulle Campus as a Food and Beverage Service Intern. And during my internship, I had an amazing experience as the staff and interns I worked with was extremely kind, friendly, and helpful. Hence, from my internship experience, I became more creative, confident, and responsible by learning different opening and closing procedures, managing the cashier, and also creating promotional posters for the different restaurants and bars.
4. My Future – What are your goals after graduation? What is your current position and describe what do you do daily on your job. What do you love most about it, next career move? How and why you choose your current job?
Currently, my goals after graduation would be to work in either Switzerland or Europe and also find a Manager-In-Training (MIT) position. And once I gain more experience in the hospitality industry, I would love to move and work in the Middle East in a managerial position.
5. Share any plans for a Masters at a later stage in your life. And which Masters you would plan for/ and where?
In the future, I would love to return to Les Roches to complete an MBA degree.